Archetypes of the Human Spirit (Story Analysis)
Archetype #3: The Road
“Pay attention to all that is seen and not seen.”
We all travel a unique road in our metaphysical “journey”. No matter your sex, skin color, religious belief, or up-bringing, the story is only yours. The start of this journey is new to the Self and offers a glimpse of innocence. Allowing yourself to know the concept of innocence in this way can help you to clear away any emotional baggage that you carry from your physical life. Be curious on this journey. However, if you stray from the road you will always be off course. The road leads to your purpose, and everything that comes across the road is a necessary developmental stage.
- What cultures or religions emphasize a journey of inner personal growth?
- Are you able to imagine yourself without sin?
- In your daily life are you as aware of those things that you cannot see or know as you are about those that you can see or know?
- Do you discover those things that you cannot see or know by using contempt (sinful)? Or, do you discover them with curiosity and humility (moral)?
Archetype #4; The River
“Choices give life definition like a river that has cut its path through time.”
Choices are like a river that is in your way. This archetype is very important because if you never try to cross it (i.e. Make a choice), your Self will never mature as it should.
The water in a river moves downstream and you cannot know it’s depth unless you go into it. Crossing to the other side represents a change to your Self.
- How do you feel when there is change in your life or when you know you need to change your behavior?
- River water is perpetually returning waters. In life there is usually more than one choice. What do you think about your own choices?